In the frame the development of a laboratory in non-destructive characterization, SUAD is looking for a Lab/Research Engineer. The candidate will be expected to maintain and develop the Educational and Research Labs, to assist students and researchers, to welcome external researchers and to perform experiments in the frame of Research projects. S/he will also be part of the students mentoring, and will teach Lab sessions in the Bachelor and/or Master in Physics – both programs are taught in English, delivered in collaboration with Sorbonne Université in Paris, and follow the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). She/he will also collaborate with faculty members, in promoting the department’s activities on local, regional and international levels, serve on committees, and participate in the life of the University. The candidate will report to the Head of Department.
- Development of the Research Lab: research for and order of new equipment, setup and maintenance of existing devices, follow-up on consumables, in collaboration with faculty members.
- Participation to the research projects of the Department.
- Supervision of students (labs and projects).
- In collaboration with the Health and Safety Officer, development of Health and safety procedures in agreement with the best international practices, and with the UAE’s regulations.
- Maintenance and development of the Educational labs: inventory, maintenance of the equipment, preparation of the equipment for each new semester, new orders in collaboration with faculty members.
- Up to 30 teaching hours per semester at bachelor and/or master level.
- Monitoring of the access to and use of each technique.
- Training and monitoring of external researchers.
- Participation in the assessment activities of the Department, School, and University.
- Serve on committees.
- Participation in or organization of Department and University events.
- Collaboration with local institutions.
- Holder of a Master’s degree in Physics and/or Engineering or related area.
- Proven record of physics/research equipment installation and lab management.
- Proven record (or demonstrated potential) in the conduct of research projects.
- Scholarly activities or research.
- Team work.
- Ability to work with persons from culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Languages: English is mandatory, French is recommended, and knowledge of Arabic is an added value.